You want to sell your Houston house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Houston”?
If you’re wondering, ‘What do I need to do to sell my house in Houston, Texas?‘—you’re in the right place. There are several steps you can take to make the process smoother.
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get total retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Houston house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean, and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell.
If you’re a slob, consider finding somewhere else to live while you show your house. Maybe you can bribe your cleanest friend to trade houses with you? Seriously, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space. Nothing stops people from buying faster than feeling grossed out.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom feel like a calm place to sleep (but be careful, dark colors will also make rooms feel small).
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and very neat lines – it makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me?
Look it up. And don’t neglect the outside and just do the inside, or anything else that’s unbalanced.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Yeah, it might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks on a dishwasher that someone else might just pull out and replace again. But really, quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the opportunity to negotiate with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the purchaser – and of course, you don’t want to be guilty of fraud.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make necessary repairs and improvements:. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Houston – to educate yourself on the options.
7) Assessing your home’s worth: While online tools like Zillow, Redfin, and Realtor offer estimates, a precise valuation is best obtained through a professional appraisal.
8) Establish the listing price: Collaborate with your real estate agent to determine a competitive asking price for your property, taking into account its value and the prevailing market conditions.
9) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Houston area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Selling a house in Houston can be influenced by several variables, such as the property’s condition, location, and the current state of the market. Real estate experts suggest that selling a house in Houston may encompass a timeframe of several weeks, if not months, given the current average days on the market (DOM) in Houston, which stands at 57 days.
The opportune moment to sell your Houston home primarily depends on factors like the property’s condition, location, and the current market dynamics. For those seeking to maximize their sale price, late April emerges as a promising window, as homes sold during this period typically yield higher prices compared to other seasons.
In contrast, as per insights from The Aida Group, if a swift sale is your goal, the summer months present the ideal time to list your Houston home. During the summer, homes spend a median of just 28 days on the market, a notably shorter duration than the 30 days in spring and 49 days in winter. Moreover, homes sold in the summer often command a higher median price of $223,333, surpassing the prices realized in other seasons.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still, Want To Sell Your Houston Texas House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to do those things and then list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Houston house-buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your home, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (oftentimes within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense, and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “What do I need to do to sell my house in Houston“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, and money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Houston, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.
Can I get an offer on my home without listing it?
Indeed, it is possible to make an offer on a house that isn’t currently listed for sale. However, it’s essential to anticipate the potential for rejection or the property owner asking for a price exceeding the estimated home value. If you’re considering making an offer on an unlisted property, you have the choice of either approaching the owner directly or enlisting the services of a real estate agent to act on your behalf. When it comes to selling your house in Houston, we highly recommend collaborating with a seasoned real estate agent who possesses local market expertise. They can assist you in accurately pricing your home, effectively marketing it to prospective buyers, and skillfully negotiating with buyers.
If your objective is to sell your house swiftly without a public listing, two effective options have emerged: partnering with experienced real estate agents or utilizing exclusive real estate listings. These avenues can connect you with potential buyers interested in purchasing your property without the need for a public listing.